Thursday, February 6, 2020

Diary Of A Female Baller: Lauryn Swann 24' Teaneck, NJ - Valley Stream North School - NJ Sparks - Entry #5

Lauryn Swann & Nike

Hello basketball world, this is Lauryn checking back in with Diary number 5.

Monday 1/27
I woke up exhausted and struggling to get out of bed but I had to get up or I would’ve been late and had a Saturday detention. When I got up it was extremely cold and it took me a while to be able to fully wake up. I went to school and 1st and second period went by extremely slow. Slower than usual and it was a double period. In social studied we studied for a test we were having on Thursday and Spanish we went over vocab. We had over 30 words to learn but only 2 days to learn them because we had a quiz that Wednesday. The rest of the day went by normal, put very slow. After school the junior high girls team had try outs so I watched them try out for a while and then went home to go change to come back to school for practice at 7. At practice we did our normal drills and then we did a 3 on 3 tournament which was really fun. After practice I went home to study and do my homework then I relaxed and went to sleep at around 10:30

Tuesday 1/28
It’s game day today and we play the #1 team in our conference so I got up easily because I was excited. I put on my jersey because my team wears our jerseys to school when we have away games. When we have games when I get to school it’s a daily routine of “Oh, you have a game today? How much are you gonna drop? Y’all better not lose! I want a 30 ball.” From all my friends and other random people. I always give the same response tho, “I gotchu”. It does get annoying at times but it is really funny. During 3rd period I always have a two minute basketball conversation with my Social Studies teacher because he’s the boys varsity basketball coach at South (the other high school in Valley Stream) and he knows all the teams that we play against. The rest of the day went by good. I got ready pretty fast and we got to the school at around 3:30. Right off the tip as usual I was getting double teamed and hacked, I handled it well though. We were tied in the 1st quarter 9 to 9 but in the beginning of the 2nd, Floral Park went on a run and there was no coming back from that. After the game I went straight home to relax and go to sleep.

Wednesday 1/29
I woke up exhausted today since I didn’t sleep well last night. I had to throw on any random outfit because I decided to sleep in an extra fifteen minutes. I wasn’t really feeling well but I knew even if I begged, my mom wasn’t going to let me stay home from school. I rushed to get ready and we left the house at around 7:35. School was long and boring and there wasn’t a lot of interesting stuff happening like majority of the school days. After school I watched the junior high boys volleyball game with my friend Bella. The whole game I had no idea what was going on so she was explaining what was going on throughout the game. After the game I had to rush home to change really quick to come back to school for practice. Practice was long and boring and I couldn’t wait for it to finally finish. Once practice ended I had to wait like 20 minutes for my mom to come get me. Once I got home I studied for an hour and a half and then went to sleep.

Thursday 1/30
It’s game day against one of the best teams in our conference and I’m kind of nervous. They are a sharp shooting team who relies on three pointers. I got ready fast and put on my normal game day outfit. The day went by normal and very very long. Someone threw up in the lunch room so the whole cafeteria smelled terrible. We studied during science and we did nothing in technology. Finally the day ended and it was time to get ready for the game. On the bus ride there I was ready for the game and really excited. I got a lot of shots up before the game and felt ready. The first quarter was bad along with the second but the third quarter we had 25 points but it was too late to come back after that. After the game I was kind of disappointed but I knew I gave it my best. After the game I relaxed and went to sleep.

Friday 1/31
Coming to school after a lose is always annoying. It took me a little longer than usual to wake up and get moving and I was almost late. In gym we started a new “night club” dancing unit where we go into the wresting room (which smells like sweaty feet) and we turn off the lights and put on disco lights and our gym teacher plays music. I just stand in a corner with the other 2 8th graders in my class and talk for the whole gym period. After school there was a girls junior high basketball game and everyone was talking about it so I decided to go. All my friends were playing so throughout the game I was annoying them on the court jokingly. I’m glad I didn’t play junior high and played up because they weren’t allowed to press and you couldn’t play the whole game. After the game I hung around for a little bit while waiting for my mom to come get me and then went home to finish my homework and go to sleep.

Saturday 2/1
I woke up exhausted and didn’t want to go to Jerry's today but I knew I had to put in some work before I went on with my day or else the rest of the day wouldn’t feel right. When I went to Jerry he was in a bad mood and made us run a lot. I was exhausted as it was but all the running drained me. I guess Jerry saw that I wasn’t giving my 100% so he told me to go get something to eat and come back at 12. After I ate I felt better and I relaxed for a little bit and came back and made sure I gave my maximum effort. After Jerry’s, I went home to get ready for my great grandmother’s 80th birthday party. I went home to change quickly and then we drove an hour upstate. I was exhausted when we got there and so was my mom so we went to Starbucks. We ate and talked for a while and then left at around 7. When we got home I knocked out on the couch and woke up at 1 am then went to my bed and knocked out again.

Sunday 2/2
I went to Jerry at nine today and he was in an EXTREMELY weird mood. Jerry is normally really goofy and gets serious at random times but today he was laughing out of no where saying random things out loud and yelling a lot. He let us play 4 on 4 at the end and he put the tallest guy in the gym on me. At first I was a little intimidated and got my shot punched the first play but then I hit a three and laid him then after that everything was fine. After training I went home to relax for a while and went to sleep a couple hours later.